Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I will have my cake and eat it too!

Our first day in China is actually going to be my birthday. Such a coincidence. We start the biggest adventure of the year on my birthday! So great, and I'll stop myself from getting philosophical about the coincidence.

Growing up one of my favorite traditions was birthday cereal. The week of our birthdays, we picked out any cereal we wished with as much sugar as we pleased! Super fun as a kid. So, in a bit of self-indulgence (and nostalgia), I purchased a box of Frosted Mini Wheats at the market. I'm sure they'll have something in China-sugar cereal that is, but I couldn't help myself from doing it a bit early.

Also we made a confetti cake to celebrate early. Yummy!


I wonder what the Chinese rendition of the 'Happy Birthday' song sounds like?...

What traditions have you had over the years for birthdays? Or have you started any new ones as an adult? Please share!

3 comments:

  1. We also did the sugary birthday cereal tradition. Mine is Lucky Charms. We got to pick out a movie when I was little, which was big cheese since we watched maybe 6 movies a year at that time. Whenever we rented a movie I would watch it 3 or 4 times before we had to return it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did the cereal thing too. I always picked Lucky Charms. Yum! And, we never had to make our bed on our birthday. That was always fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristi,

    I love that tradition of not having to make beds! I think I might adopt that one!

    ReplyDelete