Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Pinching Pennies

While packing and making my usual list of things to remember, Jonny and I were discussing ways to pinch pennies on our upcoming trip to Norway. We are planning on doing several self-guided walking tours and only visiting the museums that are a must see (ironically, most my personal 'must sees', are suggested for kids-ha!). We'll avoid public transit and walk to most of our destinations instead. Luckily this is possible because Oslo and Bergen are walking cities.



Our conversation then took a turn south. When the topic of how to save money on food came up, there were some truly unique suggestions including but not limited to:

1. Costco muffins being packed into our checked luggage-Umm....I can just image TSA inspecting our bags
2. PB and J's-not too bad
3. granola bars and nuts-getting better
4. dehydrated camping food-HOLD IT!

What did you just say?...You want to bring camping food on our trip to Europe! Are you serious? Can you just imagine the romantic dinner scene. Just the two of us sitting in our hotel room waiting for the coffee pot to boil water so we can enjoy our dehydrated chicken and rice? How depressing! It was a nice thought, but I just can't bring myself to do that.

So I guess this is all to say that I hope we can find a happy medium for penny pinching and traveling but some things are worth the extra dough, like skipping the dehydrated camping food when possible.

1 comment:

  1. Hahah... I can't wait to see what you end up eating. Norwegian dehydrated camping food?

    ReplyDelete